They come, They go …

2-P1080135 - Mark Berkery

1-P1030252 - Mark Berkery

1-P1060491-001 - Mark Berkery

Over the year the visitors to the garden vary according to the season, the weather, heat, rain, food, shelter, breeding cycle and probably other conditions we can’t know or measure – we don’t know it all, that’s for sure.

So I spend time in the garden tending the plants – which is its own practical value for peace of mind – and often I will come across a little wonder of nature, our nature. These are just a few.

And it only happens because I am present to see – and can still get back up off the ground where I usually shoot them, everything else is imagination.

Mark Berkery … CLICK any picture to enlarge in a new tab, they do look better bigger – FireFox – for me

1. vastlycurious.com said, on 20/01/2014 at 1:29 am

Amazing detail!

2. Rex said, on 04/09/2013 at 2:58 pm

This is stunning Mark! The images are so sharp I can see the insides of the insects too. Too good!

3. Mario said, on 03/09/2013 at 2:11 pm

Reblogueó esto en La mutación Neomuray comentado:
    Un blog para destacar con excelentes fotografías.

4. Alex Jones said, on 23/08/2013 at 3:46 am

I have been in nature nearly every day in the last six weeks. I see the changing season in the animals and plants that I encounter. Your bee photo is stunning.

5. Sylvia Ramos said, on 19/08/2013 at 3:00 pm

Wonderful shots, so clean and sharp! It’s like you have an outdoor studio.

• Mark said, on 19/08/2013 at 4:01 pm

Thanks Sylvia. They weren’t always so clean and sharp, it took time to find and apply the principles and techniques I now use as second nature – it’s all here : http://beingmark.com/macro-illustrated/

Outdoors is a studio when you know your tools and subject well enough. One rule is never ‘chase’ anything, if it won’t sit long enough for a shot move on and you will see something else that will.

6. andrewchanning said, on 19/08/2013 at 7:27 am

Fantastic pictures

• Mark said, on 19/08/2013 at 10:46 am

Thanks Andrew, I prefer to acknowledge the nature first – fantastic nature. The picture or photographer is a smaller part of it …

7. gretelau2001Lissa said, on 19/08/2013 at 6:29 am

I have so many little visitors like these in the garden. I often just stand (or sit if the grass is dry – and yes, I also have trouble getting up these days) and watch. I like to watch lol.

I’m always amazed that you manage to get your shots before they move on. Mine seem to move so fast it’s hard to keep track with the eye let alone a camera lense. I was jumping around yesterday trying to catch a Cabbage White Butterfly, bane of the gardener, to feed to a lovely active little spider I found in a new web. The Cabbage White won out :(

• Mark said, on 19/08/2013 at 10:44 am

Chasing a butterfly is a youngers task, not for me. I get my shots by knowing from experience when and where (and how to) they are approachable, Then I usually have from a few seconds to a few minutes to get the shot.

8. afrenchgarden said, on 19/08/2013 at 6:24 am

The garden visitors are the best part of the garden. I have a little frog that lives in my strawberries and I see it every night when I gather my strawberries and I am watching it growing. Thank you for sharing your visitors.

• Mark said, on 19/08/2013 at 10:40 am

Frogs are serene creatures. It’s good to have something like it to watch while it lives its little life …

9. Jenny said, on 19/08/2013 at 4:44 am

Brilliant photos! What little creature is that first one?

• Mark said, on 19/08/2013 at 10:39 am

Thanks Jenny, that’s a Blue Banded Bee, native to Australia and probably up into Indonesia/thereabouts.

• Jenny said, on 19/08/2013 at 10:50 am

How marvelous! I thought it must be a bee but it’s quite a bit different from the ones here in the northern hemisphere. Thanks for sharing!

• Mark said, on 19/08/2013 at 1:28 pm

It is marvelous, and different. And there are many more kinds of bee here that you don’t have. You also have many bees we don’t … the way of the world.

10. woodlandgnome said, on 19/08/2013 at 1:07 am

The bee bears an interesting resemblance to a cat curled up near its food bowl.

• Mark said, on 19/08/2013 at 10:38 am

It’s actually asleep. They grip something suitable in their mandibles, usually at the top of a grass or other stem and that way minimise the risk of attack by predators overnight.

• woodlandgnome said, on 19/08/2013 at 12:25 pm

Bees are such wonderful creatures- and so smart. We have bumblebees living in some hollow columns on our deck. They overwintered there last winter, and still came out foraging when it was warm enough to fly. I sometimes find them sleeping on flowers in the hanging baskets nearby.

• Mark said, on 19/08/2013 at 1:33 pm

Yes, when observed without particular intent it becomes obvious there is intelligence in the small creatures, worthy of respect.

Only occasionally have I found a bee in a flower and it’s a real treat. Also a dangerous place for bees to sleep, with the remarkable flower or ambush spider so common – hereabouts anyway.

11. Karen Douglass said, on 18/08/2013 at 11:47 pm

Keep ‘em coming.

• Mark said, on 19/08/2013 at 10:36 am

Will do Karen … as long as there’s enough life in this old …

12. standingoutinmyfield said, on 18/08/2013 at 10:50 pm

I love that first shot…so beautiful

13. Suzysomething said, on 18/08/2013 at 10:12 pm

As always…humbling. They take my breath away with their beauty. I’d never have seen that from where I usually am if I see a spider—standing as far away as I can and hoping that it will decide to go away as fast as its 8 legs can carry it. But my favorite is the bee….the colors are so vivid. The bees I’m familiar with (and allergic to) are the black and gold striped variety.

• Mark said, on 19/08/2013 at 10:34 am

Hey Sarzy. These bees have a sting but are not aggressive at all.

14. Lisa Vankula-Donovan said, on 18/08/2013 at 8:57 pm

REMARKABLE photographs, Mark.

15. sf said, on 18/08/2013 at 8:11 pm

Yowzers! Talk about clarity photos! (Creepy bugs, though.)

16. andrewchanning said, on 18/08/2013 at 7:37 pm

Very impressive photos!

17. Green Cathedral of South Africa said, on 18/08/2013 at 5:07 pm

Awesome macro !!!

18. starscraper99 said, on 18/08/2013 at 5:04 pm

Amazing photograph. Stunning close-up

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 5,678 other followers