Meditation …

P2220213 - Mark Berkery-001Above is a native Australian Leafcutter Bee, I believe, getting ready to sleep in a local field of grass. They have a sting but never used it on me, really gentle creatures.

***

Rarely do I write a post directly on this subject, meditation, but today I begin teaching once more, having taught a number of times before in different places. There has been a good response to the only ad I put out, a free one in the community column of my local weekly paper The Bayside Bulletin, which covers a large area of the SE of Brisbane.

I am grateful for that service as it allows me to gauge the local need for meditation without a significant, to me, cash outlay. Part of the arrangement is that I don’t charge for the meditation instruction, which suits me fine as I prefer to keep money out of the process as much as possible and my costs are reduced to a few phone calls and a bit of ink and paper.

The key to the meditation I teach is to ‘recognise the need to slow down and relax the mind from the stress of negative thinking and emotion.’ It is the only prerequisite to learning this form of meditation really. Without it there is no ‘real’ need and it would be too simple and so boring to the mind that’s looking for another form of excitement or entertainment.

This is the very practical work of stilling the mind so living can be enjoyed in its simplest form, the senses. It is practical because it works. It works by the practise of some simple exercises that enable the transit from mental emotion living, or being, to being in sense – as the sensation inside where it is always a pleasure, and the senses that reveal the wonder of the earth. Anybody who is willing can do this.

Sensation is best described as grains of sand in space, inner space, seperate and immersed. It’s the actual feeling and not the image the mind would make. There is space between each grain and space in and behind. Look into it until there is nothing else but that.

Or it could be dots of light in the darkness inside, appearing and disappearing in inner space. A pressure, a pulsing, whatever it is for you is what you focus on – the actuality. The mental image is not the actuality.

Space, inside and ‘out’ – everything occurs in space, see it, sense it, allow it to be. Everything else passes.

There is a distinction between the earth and the world. Earth is magnificent, where we can see the wonder of the stars at night and the beauty and magnificence of the flowers and insects of the garden by day, the clouds as they pass on by and the rain or sun on our skin, all forms of sense. Sense is simple, there’s no problem in it, it’s a pleasure that everyone experiences at some time, especially when young. The simple pleasure of sense only becomes eclipsed in time by the emotion generated by experience when the truth of the matter is not known or understood. This emotion, and the thinking it generates, which begets more emotion, accumulates until it is enough of a problem to do something about it.

Mind is where all problems originate, mind as rampant or unbidden thinking and emotion. Mind as seemingly endless associative thinking that stirs emotion which generates more thinking in an ever worsening spiral of negativity until it just can’t be tolerated any more. That’s when a solution ‘must’ be found and the realisation may occur; my mind is the problem, it’s not ‘out there’ at all – and nobody else can fix it but the one realising it.

When this meditation is practised properly for long enough the transit from the occupation with complicated mind to the simplicity of sense is effected and living, what was once a pain, becomes a pleasure, or a love – and what other purpose is there to it ‘all’ …

That’s the beauty of it, once the solution is known nobody can take it away. It also eventually dawns; ‘I’ am responsible for my life – I do it or I don’t do it.

The way of stillness or ‘no-thing’ is difficult at times, and invariably rewarding.

© Mark Berkery … CLICK a link for more – MeditationThe IdeaNature’s Place

1. factoid123 said, on 09/09/2014 at 1:04 am

Love the pics Great macro!

2. gianlabadeca said, on 01/09/2014 at 10:38 pm

Amazing picture Mark !

• Mark said, on 01/09/2014 at 10:59 pm

Thanks Gian … it’s one of my favourites.

3. sjdock said, on 28/03/2014 at 3:49 pm

Beautiful photography, beautiful wise words, Thanks

4. veggymitevixen said, on 08/03/2014 at 8:58 am

wow. :) your words are amazing

• Mark said, on 08/03/2014 at 12:10 pm

One foot in front of the other … trips the man with a limp.

5. sweffling said, on 30/01/2014 at 7:44 am

I feel very stupid as I am not sure I understand what you are getting at. Do you mean what i do when I sit outside somewhere and switch off and forget myself and let things just ‘be’?

• Mark said, on 30/01/2014 at 8:32 am

That’s because of doubt. The feeling (self judgment of ‘stupid’) is part of the problem, that leads to thinking which stirs more emotion.

‘Letting things be’ could be it if you remain present in the senses. It looks like ‘nothing’ while everything comes and goes, no holding on. Sitting outside in the senses or the sense of things – not drifting off in some dream, in other words.

Being letting things be. As you say.

6. vastlycurious.com said, on 30/01/2014 at 7:00 am

Very intense photograph!

7. Godfried said, on 30/01/2014 at 4:25 am

Great post Mark. Beautiful macro picture.

8. larryalyons said, on 30/01/2014 at 12:02 am

Enjoyed your little synopsis on meditation. It is a reminder that we need to take time to relax and reflect.
    Great image of the bee.

9. standingoutinmyfield said, on 29/01/2014 at 10:59 pm

That’s a male leafcutter bee, I think! The males have no stingers at all, though the females are definitely gentle as well.

• Mark said, on 29/01/2014 at 11:53 pm

I’ll bow to your obvious conviction … I’ve only been stung by a European Honey Bee, shooting with flash at the entrance to a feral hive.

10. afrenchgarden said, on 29/01/2014 at 6:29 pm

I appreciate your words. More and more we look to the outside for someone to tell us what to do, to imitate or a product we can buy to solve our problems. It is our mind, it is up to us to calm it and take control. Not easy though.

11. Simon C. Joseph said, on 29/01/2014 at 6:20 pm

The world would be a better place if more of us meditated. I use the didgeridoo in my quest for inner peace. Using a low key, B in my case really helps with breath control and relaxation, as it is played at a slow pace.

• Mark said, on 29/01/2014 at 11:58 pm

No doubt a musical ability helps with the hyper mind, a wind instrument with breath control. Ultimately though it is necessary to control the mind without reliance on anything ‘external’.

12. ariannamoraphotography said, on 29/01/2014 at 6:08 pm

wow.

13. woodlandgnome said, on 29/01/2014 at 1:52 pm

A beautiful post, Mark. I love the bee’s eyes. I wrote on something very similiar yesterday about “conscious seeing.” We are being led along the same pathways. Best wishes, WG

14. SuzySomething said, on 29/01/2014 at 1:44 pm

I’m determined to master my mind…one of these days!
    “Do or do not. There is no try.” Yoda

• Mark said, on 29/01/2014 at 5:38 pm

Ha, ha … one of these days.

Yes, trying is tyring.

15. acuriousgal said, on 29/01/2014 at 1:42 pm

Just awesome

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 6,858 other followers