Truth?

One of the Stingless Sugarbag Bees native to Oz gathering pollen for the hive from one of the Daisy’s in the garden, hungry little fella, about 1cm long and shot on the run.

What is that, truth? I’m sure someone famous has asked before since there is nothing new under the sun, as someone else has also said. So what’s the point to living then?

There must be a point or I wouldn’t be here. And the fact I am here must point to the truth, because if truth isn’t in the fact where is it. Where else could it be? Surely not in imagination, the swamp to lost souls. And there’s only the fact or the fiction.

So what is the fact? I am sitting here writing this, that’s a fact. And the next moment I am (doing) something else which is also a fact, albeit a different one.

But surely if there is such a thing as truth it is common to all who are capable of asking the question or there is more than one truth. I don’t buy that, the duplicity or multiplicity of truths. That’s what we already have with everybody living their own truth that is the source of so much conflict.

So truth must be without conflict? For me it must, because I have known enough conflict to know I don’t want that and I still want the truth. So where can I find no conflict? Is it possible in a world of believers?

Probably not, but does truth depend on what others think it is? I don’t think so, that’s just more imagining. Truth is mine, irrefutable in my own experience, or there is none. For if truth is not mine there is no such thing, or it is all imagining after all.

But anyone who has played around in the imagination knows there is no truth there. No peace of mind, another way of describing ‘no conflict’. Is this making sense to anyone but me?

Peace of mind, what else is worth living for. What else is it you do everything for in the end, if not peace of mind. Or would you say you prefer conflict? Some would, I suspect, having been there. But that’s just the way it is, on the way to truth, you have to know what it is not.

And it’s not conflict or we’d all be at peace. :)

What then is common to all who can ask the question; What is truth? Could it be the measure of intelligence it takes to do so? Could it be to do anything, or for anything to happen or be cognised there must be a measure of intelligence?

Let’s leave so-called objective science out of this and look in our own experience, which is now, and not some past book or words of some ‘wise old man or woman’ who are not here now.

Truth, surely, has to be now or it’s not here now. And anything that’s not here now is imagination, gone, hasn’t come.

So what is common to all that is now? It’s a fair question, no? What is truth? In my own, your own experience.

I am. What I call ‘I’. I in the question and the questioner, I in the doer and the doing, I in the happening, the living and the dying.

I am the truth. I, the intelligence behind the appearance of any body or thing at all, am, the truth.

So you are the truth too, if you can just see ‘I’ in all things.

And the way to do it is negate anything that is not ‘I’.

Negate, render to nothing, everything.

For no-thing is ‘I’. Or ‘I’ am.

Then, like any truth, it must be lived.

Just thought I’d get that out today.

In that way.

Mark Berkery ……. Click any picture to enlarge in a new tab – best in FireFox

1. Claire Bowman said, on 14/06/2013 at 11:30 pm

Not sure I got all that , it does make some sense to me though. Perspective is always interesting be it yours or mine. The truth I see is in the pictures of the bee’s. Natures wonder plain and simple

2. kenncf said, on 05/11/2012 at 8:21 am

Amazing, really amazing.

3. Alex Jones said, on 26/10/2012 at 6:42 am

Stunning images. I never knew bees had more than two eyes.

• Mark said, on 26/10/2012 at 10:58 am

G’day Alex. There’s much to see of nature when you get up close …

• Alex Jones said, on 26/10/2012 at 4:24 pm

You opened my eyes to the possibilities of getting up close to nature.

4. artandkitchen said, on 20/10/2012 at 4:20 pm

All those are so georgeous!

5. cecilia said, on 19/10/2012 at 6:57 am

wow, absolutely stunning. i need you and your camera to mooch about the farm with me.. just imagine.. c

• Mark said, on 19/10/2012 at 2:27 pm

Thank you far the Arm Cecilia. Yes, a farm would be great for macro, especially if a forest nearby.

6. suzysomething said, on 10/10/2012 at 7:13 am

Mark, as always, your shots are wonderful….and I also appreciated that you shared your philosophy about truth. In my own life, truth is a moment by moment concept. I live it.

• Mark said, on 10/10/2012 at 1:18 pm

Thanks Sarzy. Truth is what you live, sure enough … The rest is imagination.

• suzysomething said, on 11/10/2012 at 3:29 am

I love your merging of my names Sarzy—-I think I’ll use it on one of my blogs! :o)

7. Barbara Rodgers said, on 05/10/2012 at 11:14 pm

Amazing pictures!

• Mark said, on 06/10/2012 at 1:18 pm

Thanks Barbara. Your comment was spammed for some reason …

8. Caitlin said, on 05/10/2012 at 4:31 am

oh love that

9. Tammie said, on 05/10/2012 at 3:06 am

the only truth i experienced as i read your post and took to heart each image; there is a bee on this flower and it is busy living it’s life and i am enjoying the gorgeous beauty of looking at it through your images. thank you.

• Mark said, on 05/10/2012 at 7:34 am

Thank you Tammie. That’s the fact. And every fact has behind it an aspect of truth. Perhaps en- joy -ment is the truth you know?

Fact is particular, truth is universal. Thank you for a hand. :)

• Tammie said, on 09/10/2012 at 10:39 am

yes, in-joy-ment, wonder, fascination, amazement
        perhaps there is a little fact in truth and truth in fact….?

• Mark said, on 09/10/2012 at 3:48 pm

Hmmm? I rather see truth as the precursor to fact, before fact in the order of things. The truth can be in the fact but I don’t see the fact in truth, being of a higher octave the fact just won’t fit into truth but truth can be seen through the fact. Hmmm? Tricky stuff. :)

10. thelittleleaf said, on 01/10/2012 at 8:05 am

Beautiful shots – love the colours, so delicate too

11. Claratee said, on 30/09/2012 at 11:41 pm

Thank you for bing part of a peaceful Sunday morning!

• Mark said, on 01/10/2012 at 1:19 pm

Thanks Clara.

• Claratee said, on 09/10/2012 at 10:14 pm

we had a 7.6 earthquake on sept 5 in costa rica. the day after I found that a nest of a stingless mariola bees had been built along on one of our window shutters. they were safely relocated to another place in our garden, but the timing of your stingless bee pictorial couldn’t have been more perfect.

12. standingoutinmyfield said, on 30/09/2012 at 5:29 am

Wasn’t Mount Coot-tha named for these little guys?

• Mark said, on 30/09/2012 at 6:21 am

I didn’t know that but a quick search gets this : Mt Coot-tha is an Aboriginal word meaning ‘place of honey’ its names this because the Aboriginal people of the area used to come to the mountain to collect ‘ku-ta’ (honey) that was produced by the native stingless bee. And that’s what these little fellas are, Stingless Bees.

13. Playamart - Zeebra Designs said, on 30/09/2012 at 4:53 am

the colors are stunning! great post! z

• Mark said, on 30/09/2012 at 5:09 am

Thanks Z. The bees just fancied those Daisies on the day, and they have no table manners, just ripped into the pollen stores.

• Playamart - Zeebra Designs said, on 30/09/2012 at 5:52 am

you are too funny! thanks for the unexpected chuckle! z

• Mark said, on 30/09/2012 at 6:18 am

It’s been a long cold and dry winter for them so a little savagery is to be expected, and almost amusing to watch.

14. Dina said, on 30/09/2012 at 3:21 am

Excellent photography! Thank you very much for this philosophie, great text.
    Love
    Dina

15. Onibe said, on 30/09/2012 at 2:13 am

nice photos, even DOF looks great. I’m wondering whether You are stacking images, or is it just a single shot?

• Mark said, on 30/09/2012 at 5:18 am

Thanks O. No, not stacked – all single frames, just a very small sensor which means a very small frame for the same DOF as a larger frame. The angles also make a lot of difference to how much looks in focus. Plus, with these bees, it is necessary to crop but only for composition as they are forever fast moving – so keeper rate is low.

BTW, your comment was spammed too for some reason – in case you are missing some.

• Onibe said, on 01/10/2012 at 3:03 am

it happens with my comments, dont know why…

thx for the answer, I keep wondering what to do, to do photos like these… ;-)

• Mark said, on 01/10/2012 at 1:24 pm

You got spammed again. To do photos like these? Have a look here : https://beingmark.com/macro-illustrated/ And then there’s a dozen or so technical experts you will find from links there, and in the comments. And then it’s all practise, like everything else … :)

• Onibe said, on 01/10/2012 at 8:42 pm

that is what I was afraid of: practice. Practice means time… hehe… like anybody else I’d like to have future sucess today, but this is – ofcourse – out of question ;-). There is a lot of good reading on the link given. Must admit, I read this some time ago, but forgot. Which means, that I have to work not only on my macro abilities but also on my memory ;-).

Best regards!

• Mark said, on 02/10/2012 at 1:58 am

Spammed again. Memory also comes with practise, and abstinence from ‘substances’ … :)

16. bcnerdtm said, on 30/09/2012 at 12:55 am

Looks like it came from another planet – just like your overwhelming work!

Greetings from Germany ;)

• Mark said, on 30/09/2012 at 5:07 am

Hi Simon. It might as well be from another planet the way we think the world of men can do without the Earth.

17. Emily Heath said, on 29/09/2012 at 7:27 pm

Astonishing photos. You can even see individual pollen grains and the three ocelli eyes on top of her head. What equipment are you using?

• Mark said, on 29/09/2012 at 10:21 pm

Amazing little creatures Emily. A tiny bee, one of the few social ones that make honey in Oz, can also be found mining resin from trees for their hive building. I’m using the usual, FZ50 with achromats, and always diffused indirect flash. The short WD (2″) works best for me, for control and stability.

• Emily Heath said, on 30/09/2012 at 7:03 pm

Thanks Mark. I just read through your ‘Macro Illustrated’ post where you explain where it’s done. I read a lot of photography blogs and yours are by far the best insect photos I’ve come across yet.

• Mark said, on 30/09/2012 at 8:01 pm

Thanks Emily. You know yourself, if you love a thing or subject it opens up to you and you can only get better at it. The occasional bite is the necessary pain to keep focus. :)

18. Chillbrook said, on 29/09/2012 at 5:39 pm

Stunning Shots!

• Mark said, on 30/09/2012 at 5:11 am

Thanks, your comment was spammed for some reason?

19. mike585 said, on 29/09/2012 at 5:27 pm

Lovely images, Mark, and wonderful colours.