Wanted …

to rent. House/shack/granny flat/caravan – just somewhere to hang my hat at first. Nothing fancy required but space and greenery is appreciated, enjoyed and tended.

It has dawned on me recently that I have become familiar with where I am and that it is a soporific to me. Familiarity is a form of diffusion to the intelligence, a psychic web that absorbs some energy to sustain itself. Energy that would be better employed in a more important endeavour, to be more intelligent, to love more.

So, right or wrong, I have it in me to leave where I have been living for years with a dear old friend, and no real idea of where to go or what I will do. A venture into the unknown you could say, or just casting for now. Thought I’d put it out there and see what comes back, why not, life comes in every form. And if nothing comes back that’s life too. Any offers or suggestion appreciated … by comment below or email …

A house or … whatever … need only be habitable, with a garden or some space to grow a few plants. Old and overgrown is good. Internet connection is desirable. Can’t really ask life for anything in particular, and can’t rule anything out.

If something ‘sings out’ or ‘shines’ to me I’ll go with that. Otherwise I’ll go with the biggest ‘yes’. Right now I just don’t know what may be.

Maybe I’ll just take off in a van and see where I end up. Could blog via public wifi along the way, Mc D’s is good for that I am told.

A van … a very practical machine in Australia. I am looking at buying a ford transit van but the right one hasn’t presented yet.

A van to carry my/stuff to and fro and for away time outback and beyond – no firm plans there either. Come what may …

And then she came, the entertainment.

Daughter of life, life as mother of the garden. A mother always calm, listening, present. Is that a smile I see? Well, maybe inside, in a psyche that knows no fear.

While watering the garden at close of day she appeared without a care in the world, dripping from the careless spray. Every little thing has its time.

Does she, at least once, see the stars from the cold blackness of a desert night at the new moon.

Wearing water as a helmet, must affect her vision, she wasn’t too disturbed, from under the petals.

*Click on the pictures for a proper look …

Out on the petal she takes a pose, casting in the dark for what may be there, ready for fight or flight.

I probably bumped her home, she turned to safety but came out again. A tiny version of her mother.

Straddling the petals, facing down the strange appearance of flash and glass, she was unperturbed.

As close as I could get to this tiny creature, and then I left her alone, don’t want to intrude.

There is nothing more hurting than not enough love. It’s the cause of all the pain of human suffering on earth. But what to do about it …

© Mark Berkery ……. Click on those pictures for a closer look

1. camtruelove said, on 21/01/2018 at 1:54 pm

We lived in an RV for a little over a year, class Cs are similar to vans, slightly larger and may offer space for a traveling garden.

• Mark said, on 21/01/2018 at 2:45 pm

I may have found the van that works for me, of what’s available, a LWB mid roof Transit. Don’t know about a garden in it, but I do have a plant that loves the sun and probably wouldn’t mind living on the dash, as long as I water it. As it grows I could plant cuttings along the way. I’ll call it a ‘MarkWozHere’ plant.

2. puzzleblume said, on 17/01/2018 at 6:23 pm

A wonderful sequence f a crab-spider coming with your thoughts. With flower-crab spiders I always have the idea of princesses in withering palaces, and such is life.
    Good luck for your further steps to other p(a)laces.

• Mark said, on 17/01/2018 at 7:57 pm

Actually I thought of it as a princess but it got lost in editing. But it is a magical world so why not, for the fun of it.

Thanks PB…

3. Lissa Clayton said, on 17/01/2018 at 4:07 pm

Have you considered house sitting Mark? I have been doing it FT since Dec 2016. I do it for free and in return pay no rent or amenities, though there are variations on that theme. Some of the sits advertised can run from days to years and everything in between. Australia wide. You choose where you would like and daily digests are sent out.

Have a look at Aussie House Sitters, Mind a Home and Happy House Sitters. The first two I have found the most productive. As a sitter you do need to pay a yearly fee to subscribe.

Worth a look.

• Mark said, on 17/01/2018 at 4:24 pm

That’s a good idea Lissa, thanks. I hadn’t thought of it. Would be a good way of getting around, with breaks from vanning it. I’ll look into it.

• Lissa Clayton said, on 17/01/2018 at 4:28 pm

I bought a diesel Kia Carnival as I can use it both as a people mover and a van. Just a thought.

• Mark said, on 17/01/2018 at 5:40 pm

Yes, there are lots of good vans to be had. That one’s too small for me though. If I do it I wouldn’t restrict myself to house sitting, it would be a mix with the van for bush/NP visits. I have travelled in vans before and it has to have the right space and the basic but necessary features.

4. dharmalauri said, on 17/01/2018 at 2:11 pm

Goodonyou! Hit the road Jack! Or Mark in this case.

• Mark said, on 17/01/2018 at 3:07 pm

Got to find the right wheels first. The summer heat will be ending soon enough so plans can be made for the coming ‘sprinter’, or is that ‘winting’. The initial idea is to go from nature to nature, naturally watered and sheltered places, deserts cold night for the star view to WA’s famous flowering – link for those who might be interested.

5. Zezee said, on 17/01/2018 at 11:48 am

A van would be exciting and probably a bit of a challenge, travelling from place to place all the time.

Of all the pics I’ve seen on here, this is the first to unsettle me a little, I think, but that’s because I had a bad experience with a pale spider. It was just minding it’s own busy while I screamed and ran from whatever horror I imagined it was up to. Still, I love your photos here. Though I squirm, I can’t help but admire the pale beauty of this spider.

• Mark said, on 17/01/2018 at 12:59 pm

I have owned a van, on and off, for decades. Time to get another one, perhaps – what life brings. They are very practical machines, space to live in and carry stuff, days and nights away – in the desert to see the stars on a black night, good view of the road ahead from up high and no more expensive to run than a large car.

Fear of spiders is common it seems. Imagination will do it every time, aided by some deep subconscious emotion. But you are doing well to appreciate the little beauty. Here’s some more for you to practise on, just scroll down the pages – https://beingmark.com/?s=spider and https://beingmark.com/category/spider/

Thanks Zeezee.

• Zezee said, on 18/01/2018 at 8:59 am

That sounds pretty cool, having a van. I wouldn’t mind trying that for a time.

Lol thanks for sharing those extra pages. I do need to overcome my squeamishness.

• Mark said, on 18/01/2018 at 11:59 am

It’s a good way to get around, if you don’t mind roughing it. I don’t … part time.

It helps to engage with what appears to cause distress, to see if it’s real or not.

Only you know what’s good for you.

6. David said, on 17/01/2018 at 11:46 am

Yes, clickin on the first one a couple of times let me see the drop of water and how it was draped around her head. Very nice job on what would seem to me to be a somewhat difficult subject, i.e., white and a body parts that are semi-translucent. Best wishes for success on your quest.

• Mark said, on 17/01/2018 at 12:46 pm

It’s not really that difficult. Once diffusion is good, and apparent light size – I go into both here Macro Illustrated Just set for a slight underexposure and one out of four or so will be good enough, if the sensor can handle the dynamic range. It’s always a compromise between capacities, isn’t it.

Thanks David.

7. BearlyAware said, on 17/01/2018 at 11:37 am

Good luck and safe journey!

• Mark said, on 17/01/2018 at 12:43 pm

Thanks BA.

The next step is in the works, coming down the ‘pike … look out world, life is relentless. :-)

• jamiegardenwise said, on 19/01/2018 at 5:21 am

Work-Away is a great way to travel. You register online and apply for seasonal work or as my sons are doing, Helen building tiny houses in New Zealand.

• Mark said, on 19/01/2018 at 5:27 am

Thanks for the suggestion. I have done fruit picking, long ago, don’t see the body holding up for it again though.