Be – Jewelled

P1090373_filtered

P2240408_filtered

P2240490_filtered-001

P2240399_filtered

P2240808_filtered

P2240811_filtered

Where the native bees have been more or less wiped out by local councils ‘native regeneration’ efforts a few plants have been flowering and attracting other native creatures.

They are shy bugs, don’t like being overshadowed by the flash diffuser, but still some are just too occupied to notice or care – with a few lucky shots taken of them on the run.

Wonderful colours, clearly no less precious to the earth that makes them than the earth’s rare stones and metals are to humans.

Takes a certain separation from mind to see the colour, the form, and not the stuff mind would attach to it.

© Mark Berkery ……. Click the pix for a closer look

1. macro fans said, on 23/04/2015 at 6:50 pm

this wonderful photo shoot,,, can I ask to you,,,
    what kind of camera you make to get this photo,,
    and how setting ISO, and other to make this light,, or you just make with default setting,,,??
    and I also have photos about macro photography, if you agree to look my web in here http://goo.gl/535afI and comment or give me Good advice for how I make a macro photography

Thanks before….

• Mark said, on 24/04/2015 at 2:46 pm

Thanks Surya … Fpr these I used the old Pany FZ50 + achromats. Settings are basic as I always use flash, snooted and diffused.

I had a look at your macro and there are many wonderful shots there. This – https://beingmark.com/macro-illustrated/ – is how I do it.

Best … M

2. David said, on 22/04/2015 at 11:54 pm

Mark, I really like these shots. What I really like is that with great macro you are connecting people to insects that are often just as beautiful as birds and yet are not viewed with such joy :)
    incidentalnaturalist.com

• Mark said, on 24/04/2015 at 2:36 pm

Thanks David. You can see where the ‘world’ is going, and if we keep going there how it ends – a little respect for our tiny relatives could help change things, though I don’t hope.

3. sweffling said, on 16/04/2015 at 4:54 pm

Like one of your other commentators, Wow! As to the local council’s ‘regeneration’ plans: all I can say is constant vigilance. Here we do have local groups who speak out and protest as much as possible, sometimes it works, mostly it doesn’t. But the message never seems to stay put. Our loss.

• Mark said, on 16/04/2015 at 5:56 pm

I look at the politicians on the box and I see earnest children playing at adults, or their notion of adults. One day the race will mature … :-)

• sweffling said, on 16/04/2015 at 5:59 pm

Or die out. Either way the planet will continue and new species will come along. But i mourn our ignorance and greed.

• Mark said, on 16/04/2015 at 6:07 pm

That is just the measure of our immaturity, and we’ll pay for it – to learn not to do it again. It’s the individuals that do better that matter, the point of the arrow that cuts the veil of ignorance – of the simple …

4. treesshrubs said, on 12/04/2015 at 6:13 pm

Wow! They sure upstage usnin the beauty and colour stakes …….tis a sad indictment of us humans that so many other species are no longer and yet every little bit helps…like not using poisons on our own gardens and planting and replanting native species…. : ))

• Mark said, on 12/04/2015 at 6:31 pm

They sure are pretty, to my eye …

There is no shortage of ‘natives’ here, being right next to remnant rainforest and a few hundred hectares of mangrove swamp. The council decided to engineer what was a seasonal floodway with many grasses and other flowering plants that sustained large numbers of native bees that are all but gone now. Regeneration that destroys habitat of native bees and many other insects is something else.

5. Lisa said, on 12/04/2015 at 9:24 am

Wow – the colors are stunning!

6. photoleaper said, on 12/04/2015 at 8:57 am

Excellent!

7. Cate said, on 11/04/2015 at 11:43 pm

Really beautiful, Mark. I have seen these pretty insects, but not fully appreciated them until now; I don’t think I had really noticed the orange! And I especially like this observation: “Every thing is precious in its place, seen for what it in fact is and not necessarily for what it may be to the sleepless calculator.”

• Mark said, on 11/04/2015 at 11:58 pm

Thanks Cate. You must know the calculator well enough … to appreciate the quality of its absence.

8. communistscientist said, on 11/04/2015 at 10:39 pm

I might be tragically wrong, but that doesn’t look like a beetle to me. The mouth parts are wrong. My guess it is a true bug of the deceptive Scutelleridae family.

• Mark said, on 11/04/2015 at 11:54 pm

You’re probably right, tragedy averted … :-)

9. afrenchgarden said, on 11/04/2015 at 5:06 pm

Beautiful colours. We have similar beetles over here without the orange legs. Probably not related, just looking very similar. These are the original flower pollinators and their ancestors were there before the bees. However, I agree, there should be space for everyone. The human population now cannot coexist with nature. Amelia

• Mark said, on 11/04/2015 at 7:04 pm

What’s that I see up ahead … a steep fall, looks like. Could be an elevation … by contrary ways.

10. Jane Lurie said, on 11/04/2015 at 2:57 pm

Wonderful macro!

• Mark said, on 11/04/2015 at 3:06 pm

Thanks Jane … Amazing little things, aren’t they.

11. Lissa said, on 11/04/2015 at 2:17 pm

Soooo beautiful. I haven’t seen many of these iridescent beetles around for years. They used to be common when I was a kid.
    How have the council been wiping out native bees through regeneration by the council Mark? Are they planting the wrong plants? Knocking down the old trees used by the bees for homes?

• Mark said, on 11/04/2015 at 2:52 pm

Indeed Lissa, and people now plant concrete instead of vegetation – less maintenance they say.

One day, without any notice, the council bulldozed the fields where I used to find large numbers of 8 or so species of native bee – now I find 1 or 2 species in ones and twos, then they lay a foot of wood chips and planted loads of plants so its now crowded with them. Some bees used to make their nest at the base of clumps of tall grass, the tall grass was where so many creatures – many male bees – would sleep at night, catching the last rays of sunshine and the first. Some of the ‘weed’ flowers are also gone – except I have seeds that I sow there now.

Council seems to think ‘regeneration’ is about planting trees and ignores every other aspect of a healthy environment. Nature just shifts to accommodate, though some species do seem to disappear if habitat is allowed to degrade for long enough.

• Emily Scott said, on 12/04/2015 at 4:03 am

That makes me so sad Mark. If only more grass was allowed to grow tall, so often it is cut so short it’s almost bare earth.

• Mark said, on 12/04/2015 at 1:01 pm

It’s a mad world Emily, just passin through.

12. David said, on 11/04/2015 at 1:49 pm

Fabulous pictures. I really like the orange top portion of the legs with the matching rear side panel. Makes me wonder why? Just a fashion statement?

• Mark said, on 11/04/2015 at 2:40 pm

Thanks David. Maybe when they open the carapace to spread their wings and fly away the predator is shocked by the blast of orange – looks like the inside of a mouth. I think every creature would have in its instinct or DNA the image of an open mouth they are about to disappear down.

13. 2015chronicles said, on 11/04/2015 at 1:37 pm

Great macro shots. So glad these bugs are little and not actually this size.
    Shine On

• Mark said, on 11/04/2015 at 2:36 pm

Thanks Julie. Nature is proportionate to our mastery of self – the monsters we fear inside are the ones that stalk us in the forest … :-)