Life on the Wood

One of the places I shoot, the local scout camp, has age old wooden bollards separating cars from grass. So old and weather worn they have become habitats in themselves. These pix are from one of them.

Larva, in and out of all the cracks and crevices.

Pupa, just sat there, as pupa do.

Adult a wandering, here, there and everywhere.

A few were deformed somehow, wings and cases, but still got around.

Dark Predator, she had a nest in a dried curled leaf hanging on the side where she guarded two egg sacks.

Scavenger, tiny ant about as big as half an antennae on the adult Ladybird, actually hung on to the mouth area of the big fella until thrown off at a run, rodeo style.

And the ever present jumping and dancing entertainment.

Life goes on, and on!

© Mark Berkery ……. Click any picture and click again to enlarge

1. Anna said, on 30/07/2010 at 12:25 pm

Mark amazing discoveries, it always surprises me how much we don’t see around us. I was pulling weeds in my ‘small’ garden, and I couldn’t believe what things were crawling out, felt kind of bad destroying their living space, but then I was there first, lol. Anna :)

• Mark said, on 30/07/2010 at 12:42 pm

Hi Anna, see my response to the ‘Civilised Ant’ below. And I am just now writing a piece that also refers to how to see the small things around us – the process of how I get the shots I do – to be a new page accessible on the sidebar under ‘Pages’.

Pulling weeds is one way to find the insects but then they are usually on the run, a scramble to get away to the dark. I don’t mind disturbing habitat when necessary as long as they have somewhere near to go. And if I plant a flower the snails better respect it. ((:

2. Mark said, on 29/07/2010 at 12:04 pm

Glad you enjoy it all. The ant just stopped for a moment and cam is FZ50 + achromats.

3. Ikah said, on 29/07/2010 at 3:45 am

This is my favourite photography blog to follow. What cam?

4. Lunar Euphoria said, on 28/07/2010 at 11:37 pm

How in the world did you manage that picture of the ant?

I love it! Love them all

5. jamyun said, on 28/07/2010 at 6:50 pm