Raiders On The Tom’s …

P1060400_filtered Mark Berkery

P1060414_filtered Mark Berkery

P1060406_filtered Mark Berkery

P1060418_filtered Mark Berkery

P1060423_filtered Mark Berkery

They’re back, the dreaded fruit fly – dreaded by some because they destroy the harvest. I see them as a photo opportunity, since I don’t expect so am not disappointed.

I have a few tomato plants at different locations in the garden and at just one site something has been taking big bites out of some growing fruit and opening the way for so many others to feast.

This years garden is burgeoning beyond bounds. Plants overgrowing others to their apparent detriment. I just do a little pruning, dead-heading, and trust it works out for the best. The insects are loving it.

And oddly – not for me but against the usual thinking, I see the insects as a good sign, all is well in my garden. Because that’s nature and my garden is me ‘out there’. As within so …

I find if I let what must be alone ‘enough’, inside and out, it doesn’t take more than its share of the available space and things are in balance, not too much or too little of anything.

Equilibrium, who could ask for more?

I know, I know …

© Mark Berkery ……. Click a picture for a closer look

1. Lissa said, on 15/11/2015 at 7:26 pm

I also welcome insects and other little critters in my garden as showing it is a healthy chemical free environment. The majority of insects that cause some form of destruction to plants wanted for human consumption in my garden seem to have their own natural predators to keep them in check. All except the dreaded Fruit Fly.

I removed a heap of Pepino growing on my nature strip this afternoon as all the fruit is ruined by the DFF. Replaced it with random flowering stuff. Pity, but that’s life.

• Mark said, on 16/11/2015 at 12:26 am

That’s true, give them all a little room and they tend to find an acceptable balance, except for the FF. I just pulled a few tomato plants as they had no resistance to anything and the FF were proliferating through them. Wanting to give the emerging melons a chance.

2. Margaret Griffin said, on 14/11/2015 at 8:37 pm

I am sure there are some who appreciate seeing the enemy up close. I don’t grow fruit trees so I can appreciate the beauty of this insect without the emotional (or economic) baggage.
    There are the most extravagant poppies with giant pompom flowers blooming at present in my garden. The bees just love them, burying themselves in the poppies’ petals.

• Mark said, on 15/11/2015 at 2:37 am

I don’t see an enemy. You can’t blame the fruit fly for taking advantage of modern agricultural practises and weakened genetics.

No poppies here, it’s the butterfly bushes are the insects favourites for now. Wonderful smells too.

3. Traveling Rockhopper said, on 13/11/2015 at 7:45 pm

You take really amazing pictures!

• Mark said, on 13/11/2015 at 9:12 pm

Thanks Maja … the subject has to be amazing to get them.

4. I would like to take the opportunity to thank you ALOT for your generous sharing of excellent photos and for sharing your knowledge and experience how to make such a beautiful macro photos.
    I have to admit that since I have seen your photos of “ordinary” insects I realized their beauty in a way I never seen before.

Big thanks!

• Mark said, on 13/11/2015 at 5:36 pm

Thanks Mohammad. That’s nice to hear. The insects have a better chance of surviving now, as do we . :-)

5. Jan Schaper said, on 13/11/2015 at 1:25 pm

I find one of the most enjoyable things about gardening is the surprise of what flourishes each year and what just doesn’t. As for insects, I have relocated tomato-plant devouring hornworm’s from my garden over the years . . . I just wasn’t at peace with coming home from work and having the vibrant plants eaten down to a bare skeleton of stalks . . . ahhhh . . .emotional attachments. Nice to hear that you flow with such equilibrium, Mark.

• Mark said, on 13/11/2015 at 4:51 pm

Thanks Jan. Yes, this year there are so many new plants in unlikely places. I suppose that’s what gardens do, this being my first and only three years old, started from dried out clay soil. I just don’t mind the insects having some of my food, since I can do without it and they need it to flourish.

Ha, equilibrium comes from being punted to extremes, and the willingness to endure, then do what is right regardless of want and not want. To begin it’s a zig zag pathway, eventually straightening out. But in the end there is no movement in any direction, stillness …

And when is the end pray tell? :-)

• Jan Schaper said, on 14/11/2015 at 1:37 pm

One of the many things I appreciate about your writing, Mark, is that you acknowledge the living and learning value of everyday humanness (emotions, sensations, feelings) instead of condemning it.

• Mark said, on 14/11/2015 at 2:00 pm

Thanks Jan. We have to know it by undergoing it – the human condition – to understand it, to have any chance of real peace of mind by dis-identification with what moves – emotion and thinking. It’s just the way it is, no choice allowed … And seeing it the way it is, without judgement or reaction, is the imperative here.

• Jan Schaper said, on 15/11/2015 at 1:29 pm

The liberating value of familiarity.

• Mark said, on 15/11/2015 at 4:31 pm

I would say experience, understanding, then separation is the way to liberation. Maybe we have different use for the word familiar. I can become so ‘familiar’ with my surrounds that I can’t see what’s under my nose if it’s not in the usual place. Familiarity can be blinding.

• Jan Schaper said, on 16/11/2015 at 1:18 am

Yes, well mapped. And familiarity can be blinding . . .I was thinking more in terms of becoming clearly aware of feelings/sensations/experiences etc in the moment and over time. Thanks for the clarification.

• Mark said, on 16/11/2015 at 2:52 pm

You’re right, we have to get to know our self well, again and again and again … :-)

6. Lilka Raphael said, on 13/11/2015 at 9:47 am