Wooyung – Spring ’11

It’s a quiet place in N Eastern NSW, right next to Billinudgel NP, off the beaten track. There is a caravan park next to the beach where there is always a welcome from Chris and Lutz. I stayed in the caravan park from where it was a short walk to the beach with the continuous ebb and flow of the ocean surf, and dangerous rip currents – not usually for swimming in. And literally across the road to the BNP where I found the creatures for the pix in this post.

At night the only sound was the surf breaking up on the sand, and the only light the stars in the sky. I’ll be going back. It was a lovely quiet natureful place and I trust it is still there in the future. Out of the way places like this that aren’t very far from amenities are not easy to find.

It rained for a day or two but that only meant I had to do things differently on those days, shooting in the shelter of the open garage with things arranged for the simplicity of process.

Simplicity, has a nice ring to it.

This Cricket (to me) was awake early and was attracted to the warmth of my hand so it was a constant game to keep it in view without my fingers getting in the way. Though, as you can see, I gave in eventually.

Mark Berkery ……. Click any picture and click again to enlarge

1. Lunar Euphoria said, on 18/12/2011 at 11:42 pm

This one looks like quite the character.

2. Pommi said, on 22/11/2011 at 6:56 pm

Superb shots…i like all your posts…
    wat camera you have…!

3. Tammie said, on 16/11/2011 at 5:59 am

how wonderful
    a grasshopper that enjoyed the warmth of your hand

your time there sounds as though it was nurturing an deeply received. awesome gift to give to oneself
    and your photographs are wonderfully intimate. thank you.

• Mark said, on 16/11/2011 at 11:02 pm

Thanks you Tammie. You will find if you give a creature the chance, and it’s cold enough, they will enjoy the warmth of your hand.

4. Jenn said, on 13/11/2011 at 5:21 pm

delightful captures Mark, nature presents and the artisan acts,,,,wonderful!!!!!!

• Mark said, on 16/11/2011 at 11:01 pm

Thanks for comment Jenn, much appreciated.

5. tmso said, on 06/11/2011 at 1:33 am

What an absolutely horrendous creature. I love the yellow/red ridges on its belly and the way it looks like it’s about to take a bite out of your finger. Very cool. :)

• Mark said, on 06/11/2011 at 4:42 pm

Thanks. Actually it’s a beauty, depends on what’s on your mind. :)

6. cindydyer said, on 05/11/2011 at 11:57 pm

Wonderful shots as always, Mark!

7. desisonia said, on 05/11/2011 at 8:36 pm

Yeah, why in this world grasshopper is the most terrifying for me.. seems like ultraman cosmos for me….

• Mark said, on 06/11/2011 at 4:39 pm

Who knows? Maybe you watched too much TV about zombie grasshoppers? :)

• desisonia said, on 07/11/2011 at 11:30 am

haha.. maybe… hey, i need to lose my grasshopper phobia, can anybody help me? :'(

• Mark said, on 07/11/2011 at 11:46 am

Yes, go to the pet shop and buy some grasshoppers and love them. Feed them, give them somewhere nice to live, talk to them, hold and pet them. And when they die make a song of love, life and truth for them and bury them with all the ritual you would a queen, or king. And if they have babies do the same for them. If that doesn’t work you’re not doing it right, so start again. :)

• desisonia said, on 08/11/2011 at 2:27 am

what????!!! that’s not the way i wondered… i could be dying because of that.. :(

8. Brainpack said, on 05/11/2011 at 8:27 pm

Hi Mark, thank you for your blog and, again, most beautiful pictures of these fascinating small creatures!
    Have you ever considered entering the Wildlife of the Year Photography Competition? I’ve been to the show in the last few years and I think your pictures are certainly up there with the winners!

All the best from London, Susi

• Mark said, on 06/11/2011 at 4:38 pm

Thanks Susi. I have considered competitions but I don’t shoot in raw, it would slow me down with the camera I use most.

9. Jamiun Micheal said, on 05/11/2011 at 8:19 pm

Wowww interesting story..your pics your pics your pics…amazing like always..

10. Martin said, on 05/11/2011 at 8:07 pm