Horse Flys …

*Click on the pictures for a proper look … and click again

She came in through the front door … and got herself trapped against the fly screen.

She was just following the light, not knowing to turn back into the darkness of the shaded room to get free.

She doesn’t do any knowing in that sense, being an entirely instinctive creature – this one wasn’t the exception.

So I got a glass from the kitchen and caught her up in it for transporting to the verandah.

She seemed to enjoy being out in the air, though I’m sure she didn’t know what had happened.

It took a while for her to find her feet again, don’t know how long she was trapped.

And so I left her, being what she is, to find her way once more in the wide world.

Then she took to the air … as all good flies do.

© Mark Berkery ……. Click on those pictures for a closer look

1. Jane Lurie said, on 06/04/2018 at 8:42 am

They look a lot prettier close-up and when they aren’t biting me! :)

• Mark said, on 06/04/2018 at 12:18 pm

Yes, it’s easy to appreciate nature when it’s not biting.

2. Lissa Clayton said, on 24/03/2018 at 7:27 am

Great pics Mark, as usual.
    I would have squashed a horse fly. But I know you don’t want to hear that.

• Mark said, on 24/03/2018 at 11:34 am

Thanks Lissa.

This one didn’t need to die just then. So no need to kill it. :-)

3. Conny said, on 24/03/2018 at 3:18 am

Beautiful! Inspiring.
    Images are great, the rest is poetry. Keep posting,
    Greetings from Rotterdam, Netherlands

• Mark said, on 24/03/2018 at 11:33 am

Thanks Conny.

… as long as I am able, and moved.

4. kim blades, writer said, on 23/03/2018 at 4:12 pm

Glad you rescued her and set her free.

• Mark said, on 23/03/2018 at 5:06 pm

Why would I not … except we are programmed to disregard the apparently insignificant.

5. Oleg Komarickiy said, on 23/03/2018 at 2:44 pm

Super Mark!

6. David said, on 23/03/2018 at 12:44 pm

Superb exposure and detail especially on the lateral views where depth of field is much less of an issue.

7. wendy reid said, on 23/03/2018 at 10:59 am

Hi Mark,

Enjoying your images and stories which have inspired me in my efforts. I am a member of The Orange Camera Club and was wondering if you set off travelling sometime if you wanted to come by Orange, just over the Blue Mountains-NOT in winter though!! I think from my reading that you are from around Sydney……I may be wrong. You also mentioned a camper van. You could set up here for a night or two. Anyway thought I would throw it out there.

Thanks,

Wendy

• Mark said, on 23/03/2018 at 12:38 pm

Hi Wendy.

I’m in Brisbane. If I do travel I’ll post it here beforehand and see what comes of that. Timing would be according to weather conditions and state of nature, heat, rain and flowering, etc. We’ll see how that goes but it doesn’t look like any time soon – no van coming my way and I’ve stopped looking for a while, EOFY might be the time decent used vans come on the market.

Thanks for the invite though. Maybe …

8. jumpingjacquesflash said, on 23/03/2018 at 7:53 am

Superb macro as usual!

9. Walking My Path: Mindful Wanderings in Nature said, on 23/03/2018 at 6:49 am

Who knew how pretty horse flirs were! She looks cool in the glass with the reflection. Glad she flew away. Beautiful shots, Mark!

• Mark said, on 23/03/2018 at 12:33 pm

Thanks Mary.

There is beauty in all things, when we leave our judgement behind.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w