Times Passed

Wolf spider, sitting exposed and undisturbed on an upturned shoe outside the back door.

*Click on the pictures for a proper look … and click again

As soon as the door was opened she made to enter but that can’t be. Her place is outside.

Frisky little beetle, wouldn’t keep still. Flash of blue, all dressed in green. Places to go, things to do.

Clean those wings, polish those antennae, test those muscles for impending flight. Off to the ball.

Plain green beetle also stepping out, exploring the multi-purpose stick I keep for the occasions.

Stepping out and stepping up … can’t keep a good green beetle down. Off into the wild green growth.

In between seasons here, some flowerings at winters end have been cultivated. But I can’t cultivate the mobile and flying creatures beyond providing food and habitat. Then they come or go by a will not mine.

Something of a reformation really, of constituent elements, viewed through a fresh perspective. Since time as past has passed. Nothing ever really repeats. It only looks that way to the eye jaded by familiarity.

Lucky we have the seasons to remind us, nothing stays the same for long. It takes a brightness of being – without thinking or emotion, the psychological self – to discriminate and appreciate.

So here’s some past come once more, in images taken then, not now. And we’ll see what happens next as the garden reaches into spring.

© Mark BerkeryClick on those pictures for a closer lookand click again.

1. pflanzwas said, on 09/09/2020 at 6:32 am

Wonderful pictures again. How colourful they are. Always busy and up to something :-) And they all have sympathetic eyes.

• Mark said, on 11/09/2020 at 3:34 pm

Thanks Almuth. There is no cunning or malice in the natural creatures eyes, until they know man.

2. Dee said, on 08/09/2020 at 8:29 am

Wonderful…life goes on all around…Anne’s comment above shows just how important your work here is, Mark. Well done Anne, and well done and thank you Mark.

• Mark said, on 08/09/2020 at 12:51 pm

Thanks Dee, I appreciate the acknowledgement.

I see what I do as a little sanity – where sense trumps psychology. The sense of nature, flowers, bugs, clouds and water helps keep feet on the ground and head clear of (psychological) clutter.

3. theartblogger54 said, on 08/09/2020 at 3:50 am

That beetle looks like it’s has a metallic spray paint job done recently. Stunning pics as usual.

• Mark said, on 08/09/2020 at 12:47 pm

Yes, a recent spray job. Probably built into the instinctive fusion of elements that constitutes this creature, just the other side of existence.

Thanks THB…

4. Michael Scandling said, on 08/09/2020 at 1:52 am

It is a magnificent world and, in truth, it never stays the same. Also, I was reminded of a song by Jim Kweskin’s Jug Band: “Never Swat a Fly.” https://youtu.be/8grZJDjUId8

5. Anne said, on 07/09/2020 at 11:13 pm

I caught a little jumping spider in my kitchen this morning and let it go outside. There was a time (not all that long ago) when I would have swatted it instead. Thank you for showing me that the small creatures deserve to live their lives.

• Mark said, on 08/09/2020 at 12:30 pm

Hi Anne. You’ve come a long way in a short time. They may be small and apparently insignificant to the ‘important’ busy-ness of being human but they are no less integral to the whole. It is one life after all, expressed in many forms. So in fact you are having greater respect for an aspect of self, which helps to unify in a disintegrating world.

A sense of unity is no small thing.

6. kopfundgestalt said, on 07/09/2020 at 9:09 pm

“Anthaxia thalassophila” for that blue beetle?

The grren beetle seems somewhat wet, but I think it’s a special surface…

Always nice to take a deeper look into the eyes of those creatures :-)

• Mark said, on 08/09/2020 at 12:18 pm

It was wet, and then I got it out of the water onto the stick.

There is a reality behind the eyes of any creature, informed by the form of it. If only we could see …

But we can, it is my reality, my nature, my form in another time … Perhaps? :-)

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )