Treasure …

3-P1050279_filtered Mark Berkery

In one end, out the other. So hungry they dug in and ignored the ants who made the most of the fresh opening.

2-P1050490_filtered Mark Berkery

Rare enough, to catch one with its face out of the banana. These 1st 3 pictures were taken with a zoom + achromat.

1-P1050318_filtered Mark Berkery

The banana dried tough in dry winter sun so the ants had to go where the beetles made a fresh break in the ‘skin’.

4-P1130990_filtered Mark Berkery

These 2 taken with a broken macro lens. Double image, an aperture blade in the lens tore and jammed the action.

5-P1140016_filtered Mark Berkery

Still got some of the better pictures with it, though just curiosities now. Lens has gone for repair – we’ll see …

The cold has come to Brisbane and the garden is bereft of its aerial inhabitants, not much to be seen at all.

So I put a piece of over-ripe banana out to see what happens, and they came from all corners for the feast.

A hidden tribe of flower beetles descended upon the banana in the sun, dug in and haven’t let go yet.

That was Monday, this is Thursday and there’s still three or four of what was ten or more at one point.

A welcome entertainment as the winter garden closes down in preparation for maintenance, naturally.

Clearly they use sense to detect the presence of food. I’m sure it wasn’t broadcast any other way, it just makes sense.

Does the making of sense encourage the sensing of things that are now, as distinct from thinking about …

© Mark Berkery ……. *Click on those pictures for a closer look

1. Walking My Path: Mindful Wanderings in Nature said, on 28/05/2016 at 12:18 am

These are great! So sorry about your lens. I hope it comes back soon. At least the timing is better than had it happened mid summer! Your photography is amazing.
    Peace
    Mary

• Mark said, on 28/05/2016 at 8:09 am

Thanks Mary. Broken lenses are part of the scenery, but yes, better winter than spring.

2. treesshrubs said, on 27/05/2016 at 5:15 pm

You’re amazing!! 😊

3. Bev said, on 27/05/2016 at 11:30 am

Hi Mark,
    I’m totally enjoying your photos, your posts and your attitude to life – thanks!!
    :-)

4. puzzleblume said, on 27/05/2016 at 7:12 am

Fantastic! I did not know, that also beetles like bananas.

• Mark said, on 27/05/2016 at 8:15 am

Yes, I suppose it depends somewhat on what is otherwise available but it’s a popular food for different bugs all year round.

5. David said, on 27/05/2016 at 7:00 am

Nice shots. I hope you have good look with the lens, i.e., repairable and at affordable cost if not under warranty.

• Mark said, on 27/05/2016 at 8:13 am

Thanks David. Was under warranty, and from suppliers attitude I see no problem with it.

They even sent me a shipping label free of charge …

6. Lissa said, on 27/05/2016 at 6:35 am

Lovely :) I might do the same and see what comes.

• Mark said, on 27/05/2016 at 8:11 am

Why not … A compost pile is also productive. It does attract rodents but they have their place too.

• Lissa said, on 29/05/2016 at 5:43 am

There is so much life going on in my compost pile! I removed all the woody stuff from the top and the pile of delicious soil underneath has been turned into a spud growing area.

• Mark said, on 29/05/2016 at 9:24 am

To feed more small creatures I trust… :-)

• Lissa said, on 29/05/2016 at 10:58 am

They can eat the compost…the spuds are for my consumption :)

7. Cate said, on 27/05/2016 at 6:33 am

Especially love the first photo! Good to see the littler creatures taking advantage of the larger’s industriousness– and all of them tiny in our world of behemoths.

• Mark said, on 27/05/2016 at 8:09 am

No known opportunity is missed by our small cousins. Thanks Cate.